Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A (conditional) Sigh Of Relief

Well, here we go again! I really love the way my country reinvents itself. There's no way I'm gonna get depressed (at least long term) by the "same-old same-old". Just when it looks like the future's in the Crapper, we manage to re-inspire ourselves, and when we do that have you noticed how it lights up the rest of the world? Apparently all it takes for them to believe in us is for us to believe in ourselves. The responsibility implied by that thought ought to scare every one of us shitless. I'm either going to have to stop drinking.......or really tie one on.

Anyway, here it is, the day after a major game changing election. My friends at the bar always want to know for whom I voted, and I always reply: "Truman". The truth is I've been voting for Harry Truman since I began voting no matter that he hasn't been running. He was the first president I can actually remember, and he was my Daddy's favorite. That's important to me. I keep on voting for Democrats in the hope that if one of them wins he'll turn into Harry Truman. I admit that's not much to hang your hat on, but it's what I've got. I also believe I'm going to win the lottery. And the check pool. Every week the world's made new, so I'm a winner 'till I lose.

This time in a sort of weird backhanded way I may have gotten my wish. It's true there is no superficial resemblance between "Black Obama" and "Harry the Hatman"*, but hang in here with me. Just for a minute.

Only time will tell (that's a pesimistic way of saying "I can't believe my good fortune"), but Barack H. Obama appears to have a fair dose of the go-it-alone courage and stubborness and the essential fair-mindedness of my old hero. If I'm right, then I win, and if I win, maybe I win for long enough that my optimistic spirit can get a well deserved rest. That'd be nice.

Regards,
Daddy

*A month before his marriage in 1919 Truman started a "haberdashery". The quotation marks are because hardly anyone remembers that the word means a mens clothing store that sold your basic suits and hats. During his later political campaigns his oponents put him down as a mere seller of hats. He won anyway.

No comments: