I really love to write. I'd write all the time if I could, but I need energy and inspiration. I am old and working for a living, so that takes care of the energy. As for the inspiration, it's a wonderful thing when it happens, but I've never been able to drive it. Also, sadly it sometimes strikes when I'm too tired or too busy to do anything with it. I say to myself that I'll take care of it later. Right.
Let me tell you something about jobs and their connection to inspiration. First of all there are interesting jobs and boring jobs, exciting jobs and dull jobs, ... yeah, OK. I've had both kinds, and neither of them inspire, because both are directed at a RESULT.
Sure, if you are doing interesting work and you have a great idea, well, that's inspiration ain't it? Yeah, except that it's connected. To the job. It's like the difference between an engineering solution and a scientific discovery. N'est pas?
OK, let's try looking at a different scenario. Suppose your assignment is to wash the mud off a two-acre asphalt parking lot with a garden hose. Wouldn't that give your mind an almost unlimited opportunity to free associate itself into creative Nirvana? No. What actually happens is that your mind avoids insanity by shutting down all of it's higher functions and goes into rocking-chair mode. You only wake up at break, lunch, and quiting time. The rest of the time you're just a hypnotized hose-wiggler.
So what, you ask, can inspire, and when, you inquire, will that divine flash occur? I cannot say for thee, but for myself it happens best when I am rested, rich(temporarily), and unencumbered with responsibility(out-of-work). As you can see, the occasions must be rare, but I live in hope of winning the lottery. Then you will see writing of the kind of which you can hardly dare dream. I kid you not.
Lookout.
Regards,
Daddy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment