i stopped off at a bar and right away noticed an old man drinking alone . He was wearing a a cavalry hat. I slid into a seat opposite him and signaled for a drink for him. He nodded appreciation at me , and I said I noticed he was a cavalry man.
" What does that mean to you?' he wanted to know. ""I'm in the market for a certain kind of hat," I replied and said, "yours is exactly what I'm looking for, wide brimmed, keeps the rain off. I like my old Derby, but it won't keep the rain from running down my neck. Look, I'll pay your price if it's not too dear. If you were to sell, what would you ask?" "But it's my hat, he complained. "I know," I said, "That's why I'm asking. How much?"
He took off his hat and turned it in his hands, looked up at me, and said kind of wistfully, "Two dollars?" I shook my head. "Not enough. I'll pay you fifteen," Silently he passed it over, and I put the money in front of him. I reached inside, unsnapped the butterfly clips and laid the cavalry emblem by the money, also the gold cord hatband, saying, "I didn't earn these."
He noticed my badge still pinned to my vest and asked, "You a lawman?" "Just retired, " I replied. "Heading home, and it's long way. I just know I'll get rained on." He seemed to feel easier about the deal now, and wished me well. I bought him another drink and headed out. My next stop was the hat shop where I purchased a Cherokee beaded hat band, and being all set I headed out. next stop Midland, Texas.
Well not exactly. I rode up to the Ozarks and found Adam's grave. I kicked over the stob I'd planted there and unshipped the stone I'd had made for him and placed where I hoped it'd remain for all time. It said "Adam Crow, and the date he died, and Faithful Scout and best Friend and my name: Blackie Mack" Honeybun was happy to be releaved of the extra weight and so was I. After I meditated a moment, I rode off , headed for Texas.

No comments:
Post a Comment