I stuck my jack of clubs in my hatband and sauntered into the main salon. It didn't take long for me to get involved in a game, and I did alright. That marked me as someone to pay attention to. After that I had no trouble finding a game, and so I eased on down the river making a little and losing a little to keep everything sort of even. This kept everything easy until one night I came up against a sharper. I couldn't catch him at it, but I'm sure he had something up his sleeve. Nevertheless I beat him on a bluff, and he called me out as a cheat. I had my Colt in my waist band as a belly gun, and I pulled it. "Say you're sorry'" I said, and he backed down. After that I only played with gentlemen.
It was a pleasant journey, but after a while it got boring. When we finally got to Memphis I was ready to disembark. I got my mounts and got on a ferry for the Arkansas side of the river. they were fat and lazy and needed some riding, so off we went toward Ft. Smith. It was a pleasant journey through the piney woods and hills, and we camped where we wanted to and I even fished from time to time. On the third day out we rode into a peaceful looking valley, and I decided to stop for a while. Nothing could have been more pleasant. Going down to the stream for water I heard Honeybun bray and I pulled my Colt. Climbing back, I saw a couple of men messing with my mounts, so I fired a round at them. when I ran into our campsite they all turned on me, and I got shot. several times. As I lay there I heard one say '"is he dead?" The other said '"not yet", but then I heard a lot of gunshots before I faded away.
I awoke to the face of a black man with sargents stripess on his arm asking me could I hear him. Then I faded out again. Next I woke up and was being levered over by a fire, and I faded out again. Then I woke up to a white officer telling me I was lucky to be alive, which made me comfortable , and I faded out again.
When I finally woke up I was aware of my surroundings, but not of my when-dings as it were. A black NCO sat me up and gave me a cup of coffee . I was appreciative. "What am I doing alive?' I asked , said I. "Wait on the captain, " said my minister. So I had to be content to wait.
Soon the captain came and filled me in. He said, "It's not really an accident that we came upon you; but the timing was fortunate, for you. You see, we were actually looking for you." I was surprised and showed it, He said, "My regiment, the 9th cavalry, passed through Ft. Smith in pursuit of a band of bummers we were chasing after they fled from Cherokee territory. Your office new of your activities in Tahlequa and learned that said bummers were hunting for you." "Me, why?" I wanted to know. "Well," he answered, "the operation you broke up was backed by some influential people, and we figure revenge was the motive. It was a good thing your telegram revealed your plans." "Damn," I said, "I sent no wire. The sherrif must have." "Good thing he did, then. My Colonel told off my company to ride like hell down the Memphis road. Seems like we were in time. The rest of the regiment is headed up to the Missouri to embark for Montana where we are ordered to round up the Cree. By the way, you're welcome, he grinned. " I'm sorry if I seemed ungrateful," I said, "I'm just now getting my mind around all this."
i seemed to recuperate well over the next day or two, and soon I was ready to ride. The captain introduced mr to his company. "These gentlemen are known as 'buffalo soldiers" said he." "They fight against indian foes of the United States and any others who fight against our laws." I raised my hat to them, and they gave me a hurrah. We rode out toward Ft. Smith, and I felt as safe as I've ever been.
When we arrived at Ft. Smith I bade goodbye to my rescuers and reported in. The judge wasn't happy with me and gave me down the road about my not staying in touch. I had to agree that I hadn't been keeping him up with my activities, but I pointed out I hadn't any other duties ordered. This didn't make any difference to him, and he read me out for my lack of intrerest. Then he gave me a whole bunch of writs to take care of , which at least meant I still had a job. I went out and waved goodbye to the buffaloe soldiers who rode out whooping behind their proud captain, and then they were gone. I took a turn down the street thinking about how my life had been changed lately. It looked like to me that I as going to have to be more careful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment